THE APPLICATION PROCESS AT A GLANCE
The Center's fellowship program operates under agreements between ARCE and the Egyptian government. These agreements facilitate fellows' access to libraries, museums, archives, monuments and other research venues. One condition of the protocols, as in other countries, is the formal review and approval of research projects by either the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education or the Ministry of State for Antiquities. As a consequence, the application process comprises four basic stages, several of which take place concurrently:
1. Application review and conditional approval by the ARCE Fellowship Committee
2. Applicant acceptance of the fellowship and associated conditions
3. Final approval and security clearance from the relevant Egyptian authority for proposed research
4. Confirmation of funding by the granting organization(s)
All applicants must submit three letters of recommendation. Pre-doctoral applicants must submit a fourth recommendation attesting to their capacity in ancient or modern languages as related to their proposed research. All recommendations must be received by midnight January 15, 2015 (Central Time).
IMPORTANT: Download Detailed ARCE Fellowship Instructions for complete information.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR ALL APPLICANTS
- Any applicant conducting research that includes use of national archives or libraries, or private libraries and collections must complete the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) forms found on this website. Basically this includes anyone whose research focus is post-Greco-Roman.
- All applicants who will conduct research in museums or visit archaeological or historical sites under the direction of the Ministry of Antiquities must submit the MoA application and security forms provided on the ARCE website.
- A fellowship under the authority of the MoA is not intended to support field surveys or the organization of, or participation in, either your own or another person’s expedition. Fellows are expected to conduct research independently (alone). If the objects of your research are physically located on site in the magazine of an expedition, or if your proposal includes any kind of fieldwork in association with an expedition, contact Djodi Deutsch at firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE writing your proposal to discuss the nature of your research.
- It is only possible to be a member of an expedition during a hiatus in your fellowship, at which time you will receive no financial support from ARCE.
PREFERRED SUBMITTAL METHOD
Application forms can be found here. Please submit all materials electronically. Forms requiring original signatures, including the MOHE forms and reference forms will need to be scanned and saved as PDF documents. Transcripts may be sent as PDF or JPG files.
If materials cannot be scanned or sent electronically or if you do not have access to a scanner, you may fax them instead to the ARCE San Antonio office to the attention of Ms. Djodi Deutsch, Academic Programs Coordinator. Please notify Ms. Deutsch by email at email@example.com with a list of the documents being faxing to San Antonio. Contact information for the San Antonio Office is:
American Research Center in Egypt
Att: Ms. Djodi Deutsch, Academic Programs Coordinator
8700 Crownhill Blvd., Suite 507
San Antonio, TX 78209-1130
For further clarification or information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org