The Theodore N. Romanoff Prize Application Guidelines
Beginning this year, the Romanoff Prize may be awarded in conjunction with an ARCE Fellowship or as a stand-alone fellowship. If awarded as a stand-alone fellowship it may be combined with other non-ARCE funding sources. One $4000 fellowship will be funded in 2022-2023.
The Prize is additionally open to non-American scholars affiliated with American colleges and universities in the US. As a condition of the award, the recipient will be required to present their research to the New York ARCE Chapter following the completion of the fellowship.
- American citizens worldwide and non-American scholars studying or teaching at American colleges or universities in the United States
- Doctoral candidates (ABD) and recent Ph.D. recipients (degree granted between 2017-2021)
- Research limited to the language or historical texts of ancient Egypt, including the Coptic language as the final stage of historic Egyptian languages
- Research must be conducted in Egypt
Important: If you are applying for an ARCE Research Fellowship in addition to the Romanoff Prize, use the ARCE Research Fellowship application and under Section 5 check the box indicating you are applying for the Romanoff Prize.
If you are applying for the Romanoff Prize ONLY, use the Theodore Romanoff Prize application.
The Application: A completed Romanoff Prize application consists of the following components:
An online application form (in conjunction with ARCE Fellowship) or Romanoff Prize
- A 1500 word research proposal that:
- Describes your intended research
- Describes your research methodology(ies)
- Demonstrates the need to consult sources in Egypt
- Explains the scholarly significance of your research and your qualifications to undertake the research
- Assesses the feasibility of completing your research within the proposed timeframe
- Describes the final publication format (dissertation, book, chapter, etc.) of your research
- Three recommendation letters for all applicants PLUS one language proficiency
- Recommendation letter for pre-doctoral applicants
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts for pre-doctoral applicants. Please remove
all password protections from transcripts prior to submission.
Ministry Security Forms:
- Antiquities applicants:
- Ministry of Antiquities security form
- Passport style photograph with white background
- One-page CV
Application Submission Deadline: January 16, 2022. Apply here